Friday, September 29, 2006

Simple Dry Rendang Ayam

It's gonna be a week into Ramadhan and I'm getting the hang of it. It's not me first time fasting but nearly every time on the 1st of Ramadhan, I will be down with a sudden severe gastrict pull at almost to breaking fast. During which the time seemed to stand stubbornly still and it seemed like ages for the break fast prayers to be heard. However, it'll (the gastrict) miraculously will dissappear moments after I have a sip or two of warm water later. sheesh...
I've not been able to cook as much as I wanted for the first few nights of Ramadhan. Due to the heavy workload in the office. But today, being a Friday and I don't work tomorrow, gave me ample of time to dish up something for "B". He promised to be home just in time to break fast.
Ok, "B" wanted to eat rice with some accompanied dishes. So, I decided to try out making Rendang Ayam @ Chicken Rendang. I usually will get those instant rendang packets from NTUC if "B's" down with such craving. But tonight, I wanted to make it from scratch. Mommy said it was easy. Yeah... she must have cooked it a gazillion times already. No count la...! I looked through my numerous "borrowed" magazines from me grandmama's and found several rendang recipes. Of course I picked the simplest-est.
So, here's the Simple Dry Rendang Ayam. I can't imagine basic rendang (as I'd call it) would be this simple. Btw, mine's a 'dry' rendang thus the texture of the 'rough' sauce. I will want to practise more to better this particular dish which "B" adores coz EVERYTIME he have that nasi campur, rendang mutton/beef/chicken will be a MUST chosen dish. bother...!
Ingredients for Simple Dry Rendang Ayam
4 pieces chicken parts - half fried
3 tbsp sambal
1 lemongrass - pounded
1cm ginger - pounded
1cm galangal - pounded
2 tsp gula melaka
1 tsp salt
1.5 tsp meat curry powder
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
canola oil
Method
Heat up canola oil and put in sambal and all pounded ingredients. Fry till split oil. Then add in half fried chicken parts. Stir well. Add in gula melaka (so it'll be less spicy), salt, meat curry powder and cinnamon powder. Close lid and bring lower flame. Let it simmer till the paste dries up. Serve well with rice and varieties of rotis and the commercial bread too.
I had two sides accompanying the rendang ayam, one a vege stir-fried of cabbages and shitake mushrooms and two a fluffy omelette. Making omelettes is the next best way to sunny-sides up. I don't like frying. Not due to health issues but to a terrible past history. So, to curb "'B's" love for eggs, I substituted with omelettes. I'd try making poached eggs before but it didn't 'poached' the way I wanted. That eeeky yellow liquid just wanted to ooze out before I have it out of the pot. Grrr... Anyways, "B" seemed to be in heaven having all these with Basmati. He had TWO servings mind you!
Ingredients for Stir-fried Cabbages & Shitake M'rooms
3 cloves garlic - chopped
1cm young ginger - chopped
cabbages - sliced
shitake mushrooms - quartered
(I like my m'rooms just thick)
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp soy sauce
virgin olive oil
Method
Heat oil and saute garlic and young
ginger. Add in cabbages and
mushrooms. Stir well. Add in oyster
sauce and soy sauce. Stir for a couple
more minutes and done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home