Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Spicy Groundnut Soup

Yeap, this is a first. I chance upon this recipe in my old recipe book - "Hot & Spicy" by Linda Fraser. I got it cheap at Popular Bookstore at Bras Basah branch before they close down for renovation. It showed some good recipes from appertisers to desserts. Yeah, desserts are hot & spicy too. But I'll venture to that later. I still like my desserts uber sweet.
Alrite back to this soup I made. The name caught my attention first. Second were the ingredients used. Of course I was sceptical at first but after the first sip... Mmmm... I'm hooked! Different, thick, refreshing and above all nutty. This soup, used all veges as it's filling but I added hardboiled eggs for the extra protein. Besides, "B" adores eggs. We had this with some cut baguettes. Rice would be a good substitute too. Whichever is your preference aites!
Ingredients for Spicy Groundnut Soup
7 tbsp groundnut paste or peanut butter
1 liter vege stock or water
2 tbsp tomato puree
3 shallots - sliced
1cm ginger - sliced
1 carrot - diced
4 mini Brastagi potatoes - diced
10 sweet chick peas - sliced
Half tin Garbanzo beans (kacang kuda)
1 bay leaf
dried rosemary
dried chilli flakes
salt to taste
Method
To make ground peanut paste - Grind some roasted peanuts with a little water. I made my paste with a little crunch. In other wrds, I didn't make a smooth paste laaa. Firstly, place the groundnut paste in a bowl, add in the vege stock or water a little at a time and tomato puree. Mix them all to make into a paste. Paste must not be too watery ok. Spoon the nut mixture into a pot and add sliced shallots, ginger, bay leaf, rosemary, salt, chilli flakes and the remaining stock or water. Heat gently until simmering, then cook for 40 minutes. stir from time to time to prevent the nut mixture from sticking. Add in the carrots and Brastagi potatoes and cooked till tender. When about done, add in the Garbanzo beans and sweet chick peas. Serve at once.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home