Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Mee Goreng ~ Mamak Style

There's a tad different between the way the Indians and the Malays goreng their mee. Much so is seen in their COLOUR. The Indians are uber RED with colouring! But that's their trademark, I presume??? I'd prefer the Malay version better coz when you tell them "Cik, buat pedas, basah" (Aunty, make it spicier and wetter, not too dry)... They'll do a mean hotty for you! I've yet to come across an Indian version which might match the spiciness there.

Anyhow, I yearn for some Mee Goreng Mamak tonight. Why don't I just buy if you might ask??? Well, I eat like a pig and "B's" a BIGGER pig than me. So, we need to buy several packets to satisfy I piggy-ness PLUS other sides. Hah!!! Than, it'll be spending money not worth it. I might just as well get the raw ingredients and cook them myself. And of course, I made it!!! Here's my version of the old favourites ~ Mee Goreng Mamak. Wooohooo!!!
Ingredients for Mee Goreng Mamak
1 large white onion - diced
2 garlics - diced
1cm ginger - diced
5 tbsp dry chilli powder
minced meat
2 eggs
cabbage - sliced
salt
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp black sweet soy sauce
3 tbsp tomato sauce
a little water if its too dry

400g yellow noodles
soybean oil
Method
Heat oil and sweat diced onion, garlic and ginger. Add in minced meat and fry till meat's done. Break the eggs and fry well. Add in soy sauce, sweet black soy sauce, tomato sauce and dry chilli powder. Mix well. Add in the yellow noodles and fry wok-hay style. Just like the hawkers do. Lastly, add in the sliced cabbages. DONE.
Just make sure that you have all the ingredients within reach coz it'll be one in after another with this style of stir-fry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home