Saturday, February 10, 2007

Lompat Tikam OR Bubur Som-Som???

I googled both these recipes and found them a tad similar. Thus, I really wonder if it's just the way they're made or just simply a difference in colour. You see, Lompat tikam are usually in white and green while Bubur Som-Som will be all white. They're both drizzled in gula melaka syrup or just sugarred syrup. Eaten chilled or in room temperature. Well, these ancient desserts do give me a headache sometimes... They have absurb names with not much link whatsoever.
I knew that I've seen Bubur Som-Som sold in packed banana leaves with a pool of gula melaka wrapped together. You'll get a whift of freshly steamed smell of the banana leaves, coconutty 'pudding' and gula melaka all at once. Simply heavenly!
Personally, I've never heard of Lompat Tikam. All the recipes I googled did not have the coconutty pudding wrapped in banana leaves. They served these naked with a generous drizzle of gula melaka. The recipe's similar and I reckon the taste would be too. Somehow, between Bubur Som-Som and Lompat Tikam, I'd picked the latter. There's lesser hassle and one could whip this dessert without the need to score for banana leaves. Where I stay, banana leaves are terribly hard to get.
I decided to make Lompat Tikam in a whimp. Anyhow, Thank God it's pretty straight forward. I have all the ingredients in hand, so why not. I had both the green and white "pudding" mixes but somehow the green wasn't too green enuf to make a contrast with the white. It was done in a matter of minutes. But can't eat them right away though. It's best after a few hours of chilling in the fridge. The pudding will be sturdier this way. I sms-ed "B" on this new recipe and wanna know what he msg-ed back...? "You BEST la sayang..." Yeah, and why shouldn't I be aites!??? winks*
Oh, after i declared proudly to Mummy later in the day, I found out that Bubur Som-Som can be done without the banana leaves too. It's just a matter of improvising. So, mayhaps it depends in which area you're at and these dessert will be known/called differently.
pssst... the pics did not do justice to my Lompat Tikam. But trust me, it taste better than it looks. Just like the saying goes - "Don't Judge A Book By It's Cover" so... "Don't Judge My Lompat Tikam By It's erm Pics". winks* winks*
Ingredients for Lompat Tikam - A
1 cup rice flour
1.5 cups coconut juice
(I used Kara)
0.5 cup pandan water
0.5 tsp salt

Ingredients for Lompat Tikam - B
1 cup rice flour
1.5 cups coconut juice
0.5 cup water
0.5 tsp salt

Ingredients for Gula Melaka Syrup
2-3 pieces gula melaka
1.5 cups water
Bring to a boil, chilled and drizzle onto the 'puddings' later.

Method
Put all ingredients - A in a pot onto a slow flame. Mix with a whisk till shiny. It'll thickened when ready. Pour out the content into a bowl or mould or individual mini plastic containers and it cool. Refrigerate before serving. Do the same for Ingredients - B. So, you'll have one green 'pudding' and another white 'pudding'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home