Friday, July 07, 2006

Triple "Bs"...

Yippeee... alas, got me fresh beef brisket at Cold Storage Causewaypoint at the Halal section. I did went to the wet market but... the moment I said "u have any beef briskets?", the butcher gave an open mouth : o, a frown {:1 and a damn puzzled ??? look! As though I was conversing in French!!!
He only pointed that the available meats or cuts were what's stated on the board. Trying to be helpful, he asked what I wanted the meat for. "Braising", I answered. "Oh... like cooking curry laaa..." he said. "NO...!!!" that was me shouting in the head. I just shook my head. Than he's son (I think) popped up from behind the counter and said, "no brisket coz no demand for it." They cater for the older or should I say mass market who don't go for the fancy cuts coz they're more expensive. Thus, he suggested I go to the supermarkets to get my desired cuts. sheeesh...

But nvm that. I got it and made Braised Beef Bisket (BBB) tonight. Btw, difference between braising and stewing is that the former is simmered in a small amount of liquid in a covered casserole/pot. The liquid may be the food's own juices, fat soup stock or wine. Flavours blend and intensified as foods are slowly braised on top of the cooker. The latter is also simmered in a small amount of liquid which often becomes the sauce with the food. The pot is covered and simmered for some time on a moderate fire. Stews often taste better the day after coz the overnight deepens the flavours. The primary difference between both is that braising entails larger cuts while stewing generally have smaller cuts. Stews are often made with more liquid and served in their sauce. There... some infos to digest whilst I finish up that last bits...
Pairing with Basmati la what else kan...

1 Comments:

Blogger Audrey Cooks said...

Yes, daylillies! your BBB is just delicious! You got a fan here. I love adding some tripe once a while and a bulb of fennel for a sultry sweet flavour. Hmmm yum.

08 July, 2006 15:49  

Post a Comment

<< Home