Sunday, June 18, 2006

Chicken Curry II

This is the second time I'm cooking curry. A little different method than the first. I actually like this one better. The consistency was just right for my liking. A little thicker than the usual ones you get outside. And this time, I did a healthier version of curry. Instead of coconut milk, I used non-fat milk. The curry's milder and lighter. How I conclude to this, beats me. Maybe it's phsycological but then maybe it's not. You try and decide.

First pic-the curry's sizzling away. Second pic-this is how it looked after the curry had settled for about 10-20 minutes. Lovely orange colour there. A contrast from the top pic. I also added in lotsa veges and roots in this pot. All the more to make a balanced meal. They actually thickens the gravy naturally too.
Apart from this curry, I bought some salad and papaya. Of all the many, many fruits, I LURVE PAPAYA the mostest! The orange makes me go crazy... I'd buy papaya whole rather then the slices. I'm not still a papaya expert. Coz sometimes I did pick a less sweet and orange ones. Just dampens the mood altogether. But ho... no I don't discard it. I ate the whole lot still. Sweet or no sweet. Sometimes just to avoid dissappointment, I'd buy papayas in half. So, I get to see the inside first before deciding. Still, I did fail. Today, my sense of judgement did not failed me. Look at how orange it is. Can you imagine the flavour???

Ingredients for Chicken CurryII
4 chicken thighs - marinated in crushed fennel, black pepper, seasalt & extra virgin olive oil overnight.
3 tbsp meat curry powder
1 large onion - wedged
3 garlic - chopped
1 potato - cubed
1 carrot - thick slice
4 okras/ladies finger - sliced
3 cups water
1 cup non-fat milk
1 tsp salt
olive oil

Method
Heat olive oil and saute onion and garlic. Add in chickens and saute till half cooked. Scoop chickens out and put aside. Mix the curry powder with a little water and pour into the pot of sauted onion and garlic. Cook till the paste split oil (which paste will turn deeper brown). Add in more olive oil if the paste starts to get dry. Add in water, salt, potatoes and carrots. Get the mixture to boil and then add in the chickens. Bring to a simmer. Lastly, add in the okras and boil for another 5 minutes with the lid on. It's important to let the curry settle for a couple of minutes before serving. It'll enhance the curry's flavour more. Trust me!

1 Comments:

Blogger New Mommy said...

wah...looks very delicious, makcik...

21 June, 2006 10:52  

Post a Comment

<< Home