Tuesday, November 07, 2006

2 Desserts and A Main

Yup, did that many for tonight's dinner. Donno what's gotten into me. First, I'm not well. Flu and what-nots. I went out from work a little late than usual and reached home much later. Went to NTUC to look for a packet of instant oats but ended up buying a packet of soybean milk instead. WTF happened, I donno!
Nyways, I trotted home happily whilst eating a mini packet of Cheezels I purchased at work. Just 10cents a pack. But halfway through I threw it away coz guilt got into me. I just remembered it's kinda unhealthy. Jeeez... ridiculous I tell you. Just so to further ridicule myself... I didn't drink a drop of that soybean milk I just bought. Instead I made Soybean Agar-Agar. It was good but could do with more sugar to sweetened up the dessert.
I wasn't happy either with just the agar-agar and made a quick batch of Carrot Cupcakes. I had 3 carrots in the fridge waiting just to be used. This is just the right time. I didn't actually followed strictly to a recipe, thus throwing in whatever I think ought to be in a Carrot Cake. Yup, of course I forgot one main ingredient. EGGS! But, those cuppies turned out alrite though. Lighter in fact! Now a little happier. By then, it's nearly the time "B" would be home and I've yet to start dinner! I had "B" de-frost a packet of sliced beef before he went to work this morning. and rummaged my brains for a recipe. Ahah... Mee Bandung. It's a no brainer dish to do. But tonight, I had to do an ala Instant Mee Bandung due to time constrain. Heheheee...
In all, it took between 30-35 minutes tops. It's the simmering of the beef slices to make it more tender that took up most of the cooking time. The fillings of Mee Bandung were what I had in hand. Just beef slices and toufu. Had some lettuces and shredded that up for presentation. Just as I was scooping the broth, the bell rang. "B's" home!
The Carrot Cupcakes were cooling and the Soybean Agar-Agar in the fridge was hardening. Everything's in place. sheesh.. I think this flu bug needs to go away soon. The brain's playing dead and my movements curbed. I needed a much longer time to focus and by the time I did, I must have had done something silly already.
Ingredients for ala Instant Mee Bandung
beef - sliced
250g yellow noodles - blanched
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 large yellow onion - chopped finely
2 garlic - chopped finely
1 tsp chilli powder
salt to taste
dried rosemary
2 tbsp chilli sauce
ground black pepper
water
2 eggs - poached
Method
Boil beef slices in water and bring to a simmer for 20 minutes to tenderise the beef. Add in 1 can of chopped tomatoes, onion, garlic, chilli powder, dried rosemary, black pepper, chilli sauce and salt to taste. Cover with lid and bring to a simmer for another 10-15 minutes. Crack eggs and close fire. Serve with the blanched yellow noodles.
See. Ez-pz Mee Bandung. Of course the taste a little bit off the real version. But still a tad near.
Ingredients for Carrot Cupcakes
2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1 cup white fine grain sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups water
1 cup oil
1 egg
1 tsp biocarbonate soda
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 cup VanHouten choc powder
1 1/2 cup carrot - grated
1 cup dessicated coconut

Method
Heat oven @ 180'C. In abowl, put in self-raising flour, white & brown sugar, VanHouten powder and biocarbonate soda. Pour in water, oil and egg. Stir well till there's no lumps. Add in cinnamon and nutmeg powder and stir. Lastly, add in the grated carrot and dessicated coconut. Bake for 25 minutes. Cool before serving.


1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

wa....i think i will love yr soya agar-agar...hehe

09 November, 2006 22:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home