Thursday, August 16, 2007

Apple Nuts Cake

I wasn't feeling good today. Had a sleepless night. Cramped on right calf 3x! Wargh...! Needed to sleep sitting-up. "B" propped up 3 pillows for me. Woke up feeling very lethargic. Felt really nauseus. Jeez... Slept thru the morning. Woke up again a little after 2-ish. Felt a little better but still quezy. Vomitted many-many times. Ate a piece of toast and it came out minutes later. So, I just laid down a little more. While sleeping, I dreamt of fresh loaves of bread. Don't ask me where or how that dream came about. Beats me really!
So, I forced myself up and when to turn the kitchen upside-down. I had a rough recipe in mind. It's a quick bread. No yeast involve. I made do with what I had in the house. Thus the ingredients stated. So, off I went to bake. Getting the ingredients ready took no time at all. Just had to mix, pour and bake. 40minutes later, I could smell the blissful aroma penetrating my kitchen. I let the cake cool and sliced 2 pieces. Said a little prayer before eating. Surprisingly, the food stayed in. Made a glass of Milo to accompany another slice. Took some medicine and plonked myself to bed again. At least, there's something in me tums. What a day!
Ingredients for Apple Nuts Cake
3/4 cup margarine, softened
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup unsweetened apple juice
1 tbsp maple syrup (opt though)
1 1/2 cup dried apple rings - chopped
1/4 cup cashew nuts - chopped
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
a couple of dried mangoes - chopped
1/2 cup raisins

Method
Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the first three ingredients. Stir in the next 4 ingredients. Add the apple juice and beat mixture until smooth. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Pour mixture into baking pan. Bake 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cake cool before serving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home