Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Binka Jagung / Kueh Bakar Jagung

I don't care whichever is the correct name for this dessert. Either name's fine with me. I'm just glad I didn't screw up like the last time. Yeah, this is a second attemp. The first was a total mess. LITERALLY! Silly me, didn't copied the recipe till the end and was left with a hanging piece of recipe. But, nooo... I didn't spot the mistake. In fact, I tried rectifying it myself. The other recipe required the mixture to be heated on the stove before putting it in the oven to bake. The heating part, I wrote, but NOT the baking part of an hour. I let the mixture cool and set and place it in the fridge. After 3hrs (watched an Hindustani movie in the meantime), it was still runny. I wonder??? Not satisfied, I poured the mixture back into a pot, re-heat AND poured in a packet of agar-agar. Thought that it needed some 'firming' agent to 'thicken' up. Argh... I think, IF I were to leave for a decade, that damn thing ain't setting at all. Worst, it won't be edible as it's not cook!
I learnt a lesson. Next time, copy till the end process. RE-read and if you SUDDENLY frown and twitch, DO NOT attempt to do it! Those are the signs of disaster (at least to me).
That episode was history. Yesterday, rose a new beginning. Wa punya Binka Jagung jadik beb...! (My Binka Jagung was a success!). WooYippeee...! This is one of the easiest recipe I came acrossed. Still it needed an hour of baking time. But hey, you can do other chores whilst the baking is on aite! Thus I did a baking dish chockful of Shepherd's Pie. I baked both side by side coz the pie just needed 20 minutes to brown. Now, I need not ask Mommy to go down Geylang to get me any Binka. I can make my own and show-off. ;-p Can't wait to try making Binka Ubi = Tapioca Binka (mine and "B's" fav), Binka Pandan, Binka Labu = Pumpkin Binka and many, many Binkas to come! Mayhaps, I can get around to bring some to Mama-B??? We'll see...
Ingredients for Binka Jagung / Kueh Bakar Jagung
1 cup AP Flour
1 cup Custard
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup sweet corn (canned)
2 eggs
1 cup evaporated milk/whole milk
1 cup water
1 tbsp vege oil/melted butter

Method
Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Make sure there are no lumps of flour or custard left coz this will create mini lumps on top of the kueh. Not nice. Pour the mixture into a baking tray and bake @180-200'C, low rack for 1hour. You can sprinkle some sugar mixed with butter (room temp) after 40minutes of baking for a nice browned and caramellieee top.
pssst... my Binka Jagung top got a little overbaked coz initially I got me oven to hot. If not it'll be perfect or the least better looking for a pic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home