Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Iftar @ me Grandma's

Today mark's the 13th day of Ramadhan. Gosh...! Nearly half the holy month's gone. Alhamdulillah, I've been able to fast without difficulties. Little Baby's doing fine too. She's coping well with me. We'll brave on to two more weeks of fasting.
Now that I'm better, I've been looking forward to iftars as it beats nothing than breaking fast with families and friends rather than on your own. Usually for weekdays, it'll be just "B" and me AND Little Baby. Yeah, we didn't forget you darl! Past weekends, we were at Mommy's and last Sunday at me Grandma's. Of course, I didn't come empty handed. All the more I did some homecooked food to share. But if it's breaking fast at Mommy's, I'll bring an empty tummy with Little Baby. "B'll" arrive later after work. Heheheheee... What are Mommy's for kan, kan!?
Anyhows, I made Lontong Goreng and Kueh Kaswi for the iftar at Grandma's. Mommy made Laksa, Strawberry Dadih and Chocolate Butter Cake whilst Grandma and me aunties made Kueh Teow Seafood Soup, Pisang Goreng and Cempedak Goreng. Beverage was grassjelly syrup (air cincau lar...) and fruit cocktail (air buah campur2 dalam tin lar...). The food spread was good and the company better. We ate and drank a little and perform the maghrib prayers before going for a second helping of food. Later after isya' prayers, Bro, Bratsy Sista, "B" and me went to Geylang for what exactly... don't know lar... Bro wanted his deng-deng (bbq sweet processed meat similar to beef jerky) and Bratsy Sista wanted ayam percik and ayam madu (both are bbg chicken wings in diff sauces/marinates). Me, I followed coz AMAIZINGLY "B" agreed to it too. It's really rare for me and "B" to step into Geylang at night. Too many people, too hot, no agenda etc... That night I managed to get a huge enough rug for my kitchen floor though. So, a little consolation there. We went home pretty early too.
The Sunday well spent and I was happy to how my Kueh Kaswi turned out to be. Thanks to the steamer for making it all happened. Kissy-kissy "B"!!! I want to make Kueh Lompang next!
Ingredients for Kueh Kaswi
1.5 cup gula melaka
1 cup white sugar
some pandan leaves - shred to enhance more aroma
2 cups water
2 cups flour
1 cup cornflour or tapioca flour
1 tbsp air kapur (edible chalk water)
4 cups water
white grated coconut
salt

Method
Firstly, boil gula melaka, sugar with 2 cups of water. Throw in some pandan leaves. Let the gula melaka and sugar dissolve then let to cool. In a bowl, mix flour, cornflour, air kapur and 4 cups of water. Add in the sugared water and mix well. Strain the mixture so as to get a smoother texture. This will result in a shiny and smooth kueh when cooked. Non-lumpy. Steam for 40 minutes in a 9"x9" baking tin or 30 minutes in minature cups. Cups are either in aluminium or ceramic. Let kueh cool first before cutting with a plastic knife. Steam also some white grated coconut and mix in a pinch or two of salt to enhance the coconut taste. Sprinkle the grated coconut on each kueh. Have it with tea or coffee.
Ingredients for Lontong Goreng
1 log lontong - cut in cubes/bitesizes
1 handful dried shrimps - pounded
100g minced meat
3 eggs
celantro - chopped finely
2 red chillies - sliced finely
3 tbsp tomato sauce
2 tbsp light soy sauce
salt to taste
vege oil
Ingredients for blended chilli paste
10-15 dried chillies - soak & deseed
3 shallots
3 garlic
a handful dried ikan bilis
water for easy blending

Method
Heat oil and fry blended chilli paste till split oil. Add in minced meat and let to cook. Add in pounded dried shrimps. Stir well. Add in tomato sauce and light soy sauce. Crack eggs and let half cook before mixing into the sambal. Add in the cubed lontongs. Mix well till all lontongs are evenly coated for a couple of minutes. Serve with a garnish of chopped celantro and sliced red chillies. Eat hot/warm.
Lontong Goreng all pack to go

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home