Monday, September 17, 2007

Homemade Rose Syrup

Remember the pinky almost fuscia bandung I mentioned from my last post??? I was determined to make my own homemade rose syrup and I did yesternight. Seriously, I thought making syrup was difficult. Which part I'm not too sure but DIFFICULTY in making it I could forsee. How, I don't know laaa... Just plain D.I.F.F.I.C.U.L.T.
Usually, the saying goes "ignorance's a bliss" but after yesterday, I reckon ignorance was a total shame for me! Thank God it was just to "B". phew...! I can't believe how ignorant I must've have sound when I answered "B" this. "B" remarked --> "Sayang... why not you make your own syrup instead? It'll beats nothing compared to off-the-shelves ones." I answered, "Huh, you think it's easy to make rose syrup ke... I can't imagine how many roses I'll need to squeeze to get their juices. Let alone making them from scratch!" "B" was bewildered. I called Mommy immediately and she said there's no roses involved at all. Huh!??? Ooooh... now I get it. All syrups are just sugar+water and of course the edible colourings and essence flavours. Duh...!
No more being/playing dumb now! I'm celebrating my new found knowledge with a tall glass of crushed ice bandung.
Ingredients for Rose Syrup
2 kg fine white sugar
1 - 1.5 cups water
pandan leaves
1 tsp edible food colouring (red)

Method
Pour sugar into a pan and add 1 cup water first. Add in the pandan leaves for its additional fragrance to the rose syrup. Stir till sugar dissolves. Add in more water if the mixture is still too thick or when the sugar is hard to dissolve. The 'thickness' of the syrup really depends on each own. Lastly, add in edible food colouring (red).
To make bandung - Pour in some rose syrup, add in crushed ice and cold water till 3/4 full. Drizzle in evaporated full cream milk and stir well. Bottoms-up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home