Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Prawn Noodles

I've always loved soups. Just name it and I'd definitely love it. Errr... just minus off mutton base soup though. I got a thing with that meat. But, I'd sip the broth albeit the smell. I'll deal with the headache later. Soups sooth me all the time. I prefer clear soups i.e. chicken soups, fish soups, ox tail soups, seafoods soups etc... compare to creamy base ones i.e. mushroom soups, pumpkin soups, pea soups etc... I'm fine with minestronne though.
Besides eating them on its own, I like to toss in some noodles, pastas or rice to transform into a complete meal. Whilst in Bangkok, there're umpteenth of roadside stalls selling these delish noodle soups. I'd go for the beef noodles coz their broth's thicker and richer. Fish and chicken noodles are milder in taste. I'd pair the broth with glass or kueh teow noodles. Both are rice noodles in short explaination. To me, with egg noodles it'll just 'spoils' the taste with the 'eggy-ness' of the noodles. Argh... just being particular. Slurping these babies are simply heaven after a day's work. It settles in your tummy better too!
Being Singaporean and living in a multi racial country, you'll find lotsa various soup noodles about. Just to note that NOT ALL are clear base ones, Asians have a mixture of creamy/coconutty, spicy, soury, starchy, soy, etc... (listing the ones I remembered off-hand). Just to name a few, Mee Soto, Mee Rebus, Mee Bandung, Laksa w/c are made in numerous ways depending in w/c community you speak off, Mee Siam, Mee Hailam, Mee Hong Kong/Hor Fun, Mee Kuah Mamak, Prawn Noodles, Beef Noodles, Fish Noodles, Fishball Noodles, Tom Yum Noodles, Ban Mien, Curry Noodles and many-many more. We'd pair them with, egg noodles i.e yellow mee, wantan, mee poh, rice noodles i.e. kueh teow, glass noodles, bee hoon, vermicelli and sometimes even pastas. Depending on preferences. Phew...!
Today, I did some marketing and decided to make Prawn Noodles. I spotted the Ipoh Horfun Noodles at Sheng Siong and bought them. I have the prawns at home, so why not aites! It took no time at all for the raw ingredients to be ready and then cook. The noodles was ready just in time when "B" shouted "Assalamua'laikum Sayang!". In a flash, I blanched the Ipoh Horfun, green veges and taugeh aka beansprouts. After 2 minutes, drained the bowl and cracked an egg. Pour the boiling soup over the egg and filled the bowl till it covered the ingredients slightly. I told "B" to let the egg cook a witsy-bit and then can attack!!!
It was delish! To me and "B" at least. He slurped the hot noodles with sooo much 'feelings' that I just sat and looked at "B" eat till the last drop of soup was done. Yep, he loved it...!
Ingredients of Prawn Broth/Soup
1 large red onion - chopped finely
3 garlic - chopped finely
1cm young garlic - chopped finely
15 red prawns (they're sweeter compared to tiger prawns) - de-shelled & put shells aside
a handful of dried ikan bilis
a handful minced meat
2 fishcakes - sliced
5 tbsp oyster sauce
4 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp fish sauce
white pepper
4 cups water
oil
Method
In a pan, boil water, prawn shells and dried ikan bilis. Once boiled, put prawn broth aside. In another pan, heat oil and saute chopped onions and garlics. Add in minced meat and let cook. Add in prawns and then fishcake. Pour in all the prawn water. Let boil. Add in oyster and soy sauce. Put a couple dashes of white pepper. Let the broth/soup boil and close fire. It's better to let the broth/soup cool down to let the taste infused together. Then re-boil before scooping into your bowls.
Fillings for Prawn Noodles - green veges (any kinds), taugeh aka beansprouts, egg, fried shallots, parsley. Can add in anything you desire actually. It's to your own preference. Dash in some white pepper or red chill flakes if you want the broth/soup to be hotter. Red chillies or cili padis douse in soy sauce would do the trick too!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home