Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Simple Plain White Bread

I'm in lurve with myself! Know why??? My bread turned out f**cking goood! Agrh... swearing just made it sounds nicer. I'm overwhelmed by the final results. The bread rose, browned and most importantly it was thoroughly cooked! Taste wise... ahhhawesome...
I had my doubts when I couldn't make out how much yeast I'm suppose to put in, I was at a loss. so to my saviour. Internet. I started finding the difference b/w instant and active yeast. The difference was apparent. Instant yeast tends to be more 'active'. So the amount required should be lesser 1:2 compared to active yeast. Morever active yeast would require an additional of hot water for it to react and be 'alive'. Bottom-line, instant yeast are always easier and they can be added together with flour. Making your job a whole lot easier.
Btw, kneading was no joke! I'd develop muscles if I'm a baker! You know what I mean... However, all those kneading were essential for a proper rose of the bread. Ahhh... and one thing I like was to give that batter a 'punch' for it to rose a second time. The sound was pleasing. It showed that air was trapped in for the first rose and by 'punching' you 'deflate' it and introduce air a second time. This would result to a fluffier light bread.
As you peeps oughta know me by now, I'm already thinking of bread making projects in my head. In fact I'm thinking of sooo many projects once I get things done fine a first time. Just to booost my confidence aite! No... no need to 'punch' me for another rose of confidence. I'm fine first ime round. : )
Ingredients
1 cup hot milk
1/4 sugar (white/brown)
4 tbsp butter
3 1/2 cups AP flour - sifted
7grams instant yeast
a pinch of salt
Method
Add in butter, sugar and salt to hot milk. Stir till all dissolved. Add in 1 cup flour and instant yeast and mix well with a spoon. Add in remaining flour a little at a time. Place bread in a grease bowl and cover with wet towel to let it have a first rose. For a second rose, punch the bread and halve into two baking tins for a second rose. Bake 25-30 minutes @ 180'C 2nd lowest rack.
For a good rose, place bread in a warm dark corner. You'll notice a differece in texture.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home